It was a veritable frenzy at the reduced aisle today at 12:30pm as I noted down a massive 25 different items on offer, some with sizeable reductions.
As I arrived, the aisle looked almost fit to burst:
Not only have we got almost a dozen sandwiches, but oodles of cakes and desserts – it brings me to question whether Tesco knows what people who are popping out from work need to get through the afternoon!
But as I then took a closer look round the shop I found even more stuff on the shelves (as I predicted at the start of the week):
Mopping my brow, I returned to the meat section for a final sweep when a man brandishing a trolley load of reduced items ready to be put out, brushed past me. I have to say, I nearly squealed – where would he put them?!
Some got squished at the back, some I obviously snapped up, and then he had to stand and wait for the crowd to empty the shelf in order to create more room.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a buzz around this reduced aisle as today. It’s only one tiny shelf but people were hovering and jostling like old biddies at a Daniel O’Donnelly concert.
So, THE RESULTS:
Total items found: 25
Breakdown: 8 Fresh Vegetables/Fruit, 1 Meat/Fish, 3 Side Dishes, 2 Ready Meals, 7 Baked Goods, 4 Sandwiches
Found in the aisle:
- Pineapple Chunks – £1.30 to 95p Saving of 35p
- 4 Cookies and Cream Cupcakes – £1.82 to £1.19 Saving of 63p
- Selection of 4 Cream Cakes – £2 to £1.35 Saving of 65p
- Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake – £3.39 to £2.25 Saving of £1.14
- 2 Strawberry Jam Doughnuts – £1.09 to 75p Saving of 34p
- 2 Apple Turnovers – £1.13 to 75p Saving of 38p
- Apple Crumble – £2.27 to £1.49 Saving of 78p
- Finest Moroccan Couscous – £2.10 to £1.49 Saving of 61p
- Cheese Salad – £1.25 to 89p Saving of 36p
- Juicy Fruit Twist – £1.30 to 95p Saving of 35p
- Roast Chicken Sandwich – £1.70 to £1.19 Saving of 51p
- Tuna Sandwich – £1.35 to 95p Saving of 40p
- Smoked Ham and Mustard Sandwich – £1.35 to 95p Saving of 40p
- Hoisin Duck Wrap – £2.40 to £1.69 Saving of 71p
plus these added later:
- King Prawns – £3 to £2.09 Saving of 91p
- Tomato and Mozzarella Pasta Bake – £2.08 to £1.45 Saving of 63p
- Scotch Eggs – £1.68 to £1.19 Saving of 49p
- Pukka Steak Pie – £1.55 to £1.09 Saving of 46p
- Chicken Tikka Massala and Rice – £3.20 to £2.25 Saving of 95p
and these found elsewhere in the shop:
- Green Grapes – £2.67 to £1.89 Saving of 78p
- Grape Selection – £2.38 to £1.69 Saving of 69p
- Babycorn – £1.56 to £1.09 Saving of 47p
- 2 Sweetcorn Cobs – £1.95 to £1.39 Saving of 56p
- Bananas – £1.29 to 95p Saving of 34p
- Cabbage – 76p to 55p Saving of 21p
Total potential saving: £14.10 a whopping number, reaching double figures!
The sheer volume of produce was astounding, I would estimate that in reality, forgetting duplicates, there was around 60 items reduced in store today – what a day!
Come back again tomorrow to see how I get on at 13:30 as the BIG EXPERIMENT goes post-lunch hour…
Also if anyone can think of a better way to categorize the food types, let me know as scotch eggs were really hard to place with the current system!